Most of the time during interviews, interviewees respond in socially desirable manner and what he assumes an interviewer wants to hear. So, regular interviews aren’t the best judge of a person’s capabilities. THE BEST SOLUTION TO IDENTIFY TALENT IN AN INDIVIDUAL IS BEI (Behavioral Event Interview). Behavioral Event Interviewing developed and refined by David McClelland is a process of getting the interviewee to talk about their past competencies, behaviors and performance. This enables an organization to best judge an individual’s future performance based on their past.
Coding competencies from behavioral-event interviews according to the principles of a new approach to assessment (McClelland, 1973) produces assessments that are reliable and valid and is associated with success as an executive. These assessments are not influenced by length of protocol or by performance in the preceding year. Bias is not a problem if both the interviewer and the coder are blind to executive success. In contrast to a traditional psychometric approach based on regression analysis, an algorithm based on competency scores predicted managerial success and improved performance across a number of samples. This algorithm identified potential outstanding performers as individuals whose scores reached designated tipping points within clusters of substitutable competencies. Experts’ judgments on competencies needed or shown by executives in various positions agreed only moderately with competencies shown to be important by the data from behavioral-event interviews.
BEI (Behavioral Event Interview) enhances the growth and profitability of the organization by selecting the best human resources possible and capturing evidence of individual performance against a framework of behaviors required to succeed in a dynamic and challenging role and by showing. And, above all, conclusions arrived at in such selections are mostly reliable and valid.
Behavioural event interviews should only be conducted by a trained interviewer to ensure that your selection process is valid, robust, reliable and defensible. We (Salahkaar Consultants) have developed a two and half days Behavioural Event Interviewing Accreditation Programme designed to provide individuals with necessary skills to conduct these interviews as part of their recruitment and development processes.
Location & Date
- 17th - 18th June
- Salahkaar Consultants, Office # 2A and 2B, Pillar Homes, Opp. Silver Line Society, Near Ganpati Chowk, Viman Nagar, Pune 411 014, India. Landmark: Behind Fortune Inn Jukaso Hotel.
Spread out over two and a half day of teaching and half a day of examination and evaluation (total three days), the program will cover the following:
- Enable participants spell out the difference between traditional interviewing and behavioral event interviewing (BEI);
- What is BEI and what is its importance?
- Theory and structure of a BEI.
- Background and theory of Behavioral Competency.
- Behaviorally Anchored Rating Scale (BARS)
- Help participants evaluate candidate’s potential effectively through BEI.
- Practice of conducting BEIs, coding a BEI for competencies and scoring a BEI for competencies by most of the participants.
The certification process involves conducting a satisfactory BEI of a fellow participant in the presence of the program faculty, as well as coding and evaluating an interview transcript. At the end of the program the participants would be able to use a given competency inventory to conduct a BEI, as well as modify the interview script to suit their own organization's competency inventory. They'll also be able to code and score the interview in terms of the Competency Inventory.
Topics to be covered
Module 1: Competencies Impacting Organizations
- Competencies Impacting Organizations
- Factors affecting organizational performance and Salahkaar’s approach to competencies
- Focus for integrated human resources management
Module 2: Modeling and Interviewing Process
- Introduction to competency model building and data gathering processes
- Interview structuring, interviewing techniques, promoting one’s organization
- What is an interview? Self-assessment
- Old Interview techniques
- Behavioral Event Interviewing (BEI) : An introduction, preparing for the interview
- Assessing candidates, preparation for practice sessions
- Applications of BEI
- Features and advantages of BEI
- Components of BEI
Module-3: BEI Protocol and Further Applications of BEI
- Eliciting useful interview data in BEI
- Classifying interview data
- Coding – the analysis of interview data for evidence of competencies
- Interview problems/ barriers and how to handle them
- BEI in development, performance management, succession planning
- Video-based learning with feedback
- Action planning, closure
This program is open to:
Senior Managers and HR professionals preferably those who are involved in recruitment, assessment and development of employees and are associated with competency mapping and development exercises of the company.
The business benefits of Behavioural Event Interviewing:
- Shown to have 50% more predictive validity than traditional interviewing
- Especially effective when evaluating candidates for senior roles.
- Captures evidence of individual performance against a framework of behaviours required to succeed in a dynamic and challenging role.
- The experience is more pleasant for the interviewee, allowing them to give an accurate account of their capabilities, and gain a positive impression of the hiring organization.
Two days of six hours of input session each and half a day of three hours of input session on the third day and an additional half a day (on the third day after the session )for the examination-written and verbal as a part of the certification process.
The program will use a mixed package of methods including Lecture, Group Discussion, BEI protocol, BEI (Behavioral Event Interviews), Role-Plays, Analysis of the role plays, etc.
Process of Certification
The certificate is issued on the basis of the below mentioned activities and grading of candidates’ performances in each activity.
- There will be an informal assessment of each participant at the end of each day.
- There will be a formal elaborate assessment of each participant on the third day.
- Examination will also involve successful evaluation of a fellow participant by conducting BEI on him/her.
- Examination will also involve conduction and evaluating and interview transcript.
Add on Facilities
There will be follow up sessions in the form of two webinars and one chat session within two months after the training program. Participants will get opportunity to put across their queries related to topic and clarify their doubt, if any, in these webinars and chat sessions.
The program is targeted at all the levels of functionaries including Managers, Executives, and Officers from HR and non-HR functions In the interest of the effectiveness of the program, the number of participants may not exceed 16. We will prefer even numbers of participants for logistic purpose.
You would be provided widely experienced faculty having combination of industry and academic world. Partial list of our associates is here: http://salahkaarconsultants.com/expertise/